Vintage blue necklace
Updated: 03 March 2010
Crochet a pendant with funky vintage look
Crochet Jane Platt’s pretty vintage style necklace with a cluster of beads.
The basis for this pendant is an old curtain ring with a crochet center to act as the base for the stitched on beaded decoration. You can let your imagination run wild and decorate the ring centre however you like!
GATHER THESE SUPPLIES
- 1 reel of Anchor teal cotton pearl
- Assorted seed beads in shades of blue and gold
- 3 8mm antiqued gold bead caps
- 1 10mm antiqued gold bead
- 1 7mm antiqued gold jump ring
- 2 5mm antiqued gold jump rings
- 40cm antiqued gold chain
- 1 lobster clasp
- 1 3.5cm curtain ring
- Reel of fine gold wire
- Beading needle
- Crochet hook size 1
- Round nosed pliers
- Blunt ended needle
- To crochet the ring, make a slipknot, put the hook through the centre of the ring, wrap yarn around the hook, pull hook back through, wrap yarn around hook and pull through the two loops. This is the first stitch made.
- Repeat until the ring is completely covered. Join to the first stitch with a slipstitch. Chain three, miss one stitch and work a treble in the next one. Continue around the ring working a treble into every other stitch.
- Slipstitch into the first chain of the chain three. Cut a long tail around 40cm and pull through the last stitch. Thread a blunt ended needle onto the ‘tail’ and pick up one loop of the next treble stitch. Continue threading the tail through every other treble.
- Work your way around the ring. When you get back to the beginning gently but firmly pull the tail to gather the stitches together. Go around the ring twice in the same stitches as before pulling firmly as you go.
CIRCLE TIP When you are threading the tail through the treble stitches on the second and third rounds pull really tightly to make the hole in the centre as small as possible.
- Thread a beading needle onto the tail. Sew on various seed beads from your stash, the more random the better, adding three bead caps and one larger bead.
- Thread about 30 seed beads onto thin wire and crochet a chain, pulling up a bead into the chain at random intervals. Stitch to the right hand side of the pendant.
- When you are pleased with the effect attach a large vintage gold jump ring to your pendant and thread through a vintage gold chain, add jump rings and a clasp to the chain ends to fasten.
Antique gold findings from - www.beadsdirect.co.uk
- 01509 218028
Cotton pearl, various size curtain rings from any haberdashery store.