Updated: 29 March 2010
Make this twisted twirly pendant necklace using wrapped wire with help from Michelle Powell
This design uses beads from the May issue Designer challenge pack, The wonderful selection of semi precious pearls and Hill Tribe silver calls for dainty jewellery and this necklace has an elaborate wire wrapped pendant incorporating a selection of the beads.
GATHER THESE SUPPLIES
- 26 Peacock/grey pearl beads
- 1 Rose teardrop pearl bead
- 1 Baroque Ivory pearl
- 1 Hill Tribe Silver hammered ring
- 10 Hill Tribe Silver spacer beads
- 50cm 0.8mm Silver-plated wire
- 1m 0.4mm Silver plated wire
- 1m Silk beading thread in grey
- 2 Head pins
- Lobster clasp
- 2 Jump rings
- Using 0.8mm wire, bend into the shapes 1, 2 and 3 shown on the template below, trim each to length. Hold wires 1 and 2 together as shown in the diagram.
Download template here
- Cut a long piece of 0.4mm wire and wrap tightly around the top of the pendant, just below the top loop, then down the left hand side, spacing the wraps to create a zig zag design.
- Wrap more closely as you reach the spiral of wire 1. Hold wire 3 in position and continue to wrap around all three wires. Continue down wires 2 and 3 until you reach the bottom loop. Trim the wire and tuck the end in.
- Start a new length of 0.4mm wire just above the area where all three wires are joined and travel up the right hand side wrapping wire 3 only.
- Add an ivory pearl bead, spacer bead, grey pearl bead and another spacer bead to the wrapping wire. Continue to wrap.
- Position the silver ring in the pendant and wrap to the right hand side. Continue to wrap wire 3, wrapping around wires 1 and 2 where they meet.
- Add some further wrapping around all three wires at the top of the pendant for decoration.
- Place a red peal bead onto a head pin and turn a wrapped loop, with extra wraps on top for decoration. Repeat with a grey pearl bead. Attach both to the loop at the bottom of the pendant using a jump ring.
- Cut 1m of silk beading thread, knot 5cm from the end and thread on a grey pearl bead, knot again tightly after the bead. Space 2cm and add another bead knotted either side, leave another 2cm gap and repeat until you have eight spaced beads.
- Thread on one spacer bead then one grey pearl and repeat three times (so you have four grey pearls and four spacers on the thread).
- Thread the pendant onto silk beading thread using a jump ring, then thread on the same eight beads to match on the other side with the black pearl beads knotted and spaced 2cm apart, finished length 90cm.
- Space the beads so that there is about 2cm between the last knotted bead and the spacer bead, leave the same gap on the other side and knot. Add eight beads knotting before and after each, with 2cm gaps as before.
- Trim the thread ends to make a finished length of approx 32cm. Fix a lobster clasp and jump ring to the ends of the silk thread, knotting tightly and wrapping neatly with 0.4mm wire to hide the ends.
Beads and Hill tribe silver - Silver Moon Beads www.silvermoonbeads.com
Wire and silk thread - Hobbycraft www.hobbycraft.co.uk
0800 027 2387